- 19th meeting
- Local organizers: Valentin Grigore (SARM).
- 95 participants from 14 countries: Argentina (1), Belgium (6), Bulgaria (10), Germany (7), Japan (2), Jordan (2), the Netherlands (2), Poland (2), Romania (48), Serbia (1), Slovakia (3), Slovenia (6), U.K.(2) and Ukraine (3).
- 44 presentations (30 lectures, 14 posters) of which 27 were included in the Proceedings.
- IMC 2000 Proceedings (ISBN 978-2-87355-012-7): 132 pages (eds. Rainer Arlt, Mihaela Triglav, Chris Trayner).
- Contents: Leonids activity and spectrum - meteorites - forward-scatter radio observing - Taurids from video data - early and late Perseids - minor summer showers.
- Participation fee 87 Euro.
The IMC of 2000 was organized by the enthusiastic Romanian meteor observing
group in a Cultural Centre close to the Carpathians Mountains, and remains so
far the IMC with the largest number of participants and a remarkable high number
of contributions. The warm hospitality of the poetic Romanian organizers created
a magic friendship among the IMC participants, who admired Dracula's Tower in
Targoviste, a folkloric fair and works by some Christian modern artists in
Pucioasa, and enjoyed the beautiful landscapes of Romania during the excursion
to the Peles Castle in Sinaia. Two original and festive initiatives of the
hosts: The National Meteor Showroom in the conference hall (including
photographs, artworks, old poetry, mythology, old observational traditions,
photo-reproductions of church painting), and (in the opening and in the third
evening) a minifestival of meteor poetry (including live electronic and
astrofolk music, drama, dance, humour and international contemporary poetry);
that was followed by another German piano recital.
Acknowledgement: We thank Javor Kac and Casper ter Kuile for
providing photographs of this 2000 IMC.
High resolution versions can
be obtained on request for the images in the gallery.