- 12th meeting
- Local organizers: Paul Roggemans (IMO).
- 55 participants from 16 countries: Belgium (8), Bulgaria (1), Croatia (2), Germany (8), France (3), Hungary (8), Italy (2), Romania (2), Russia (2), the Netherlands (4), Serbia (1), Slovakia (6), Slovenia (1), Spain (4), Tadjikistan (1) and U.K. (2).
- 30 presentations (22 lectures, 10 posters) of which 30 were published in the Proceedings.
- IMC 1993 Proceedings (ISBN 978-2-87355-005-9): 113 pages (eds. Paul Roggemans, Cis Verbeeck).
- Contents: Perseids 1993, radiants - telescopic plotting errors - sporadic activity - forward scatter - Taurid meteoroid complex - photographic spatial number densities.
- Participation fee 90 Euro.
Initially, the 1993 IMC was planned to take place in England. When this failed
to be possible, the IMO had to organize the event without a local organizing
committee. The observing place, Puimichel, with its poor accommodation, served
as IMC host, but it required a great deal of improvisation. The Perseid
outbursts in 1992 and 1993 explain the high number of presentations on this
favorite shower at this IMC. Radio meteor observing got plenty of attention at
this IMC with several presentations. An excursion was organized to the Canyon du Verdon
where the typical village Moustiers-St.Marie was visited and some breathtaking
views were offered in the largest canyon of Europe. Despite the primitive
housing conditions, the heavy rain on the day of arrival, and some problems with a
power blackout during the first session, the atmosphere was most enjoyably
informal and relaxed. Wine and water were served for free during lunch which
was much appreciated. The number of IMC participants temporarily almost doubled
the number of inhabitants of the small village where several houses were rented
to accommodate IMC attendees. After a visit by some journalists to the IMC, the
local authorities were surprised to read on the front of the newspapers how many
nationalities were represented at it, that they spontaneously apologized for
being absent at the opening, as well as for the power failure during the opening
Acknowledgement: We thank Roberto Gorelli, Axel Haas, Urijan Poerink
and Casper ter Kuile for providing photographs for this overview of the 1993 IMC.
High resolution versions can be obtained on request for the images in the